Monday, September 15, 2008

Harvest Time

Today was a beautiful Fall day. The perfect day to can applesauce. My mind went back to many years ago when I would be in the kitchen helping my mom can the fruits and vegetables from our garden. My mom almost always canned corn, pickles, applesauce, tomatoes. . . the list could go on and on. I well remember making creamed corn until our kitchen was covered from top to bottom with sweet, sticky, corn! One year we even made ketchup - now that takes way more time and effort than it is worth, but it was always fun to see the finished bottles lined up on the counter. Not to mention how yummy in the winter. Today, Amiee and Kyla came over and we peeled, cooked, and canned applesauce. We added a bit of sugar and gave Kyla a taste. When she made a funny face, we added more sugar :)! It was so fun to spend part of the day working together in the kitchen, tasting our efforts, laughing together and watching Kyla play under the table. I wish I had thought to get out my camera and take her picture. I'm glad I understand that it isn't always about apples. . . sometimes is just about spending time together! [Hey, we could be a Mormon Ad:)]

1 comment:

Amiee said...

Thanks again for inviting us! It was so much fun and Kyla still talks about how scary that owl was while making that face. haha. love it!